Some time in the 1990s - Telephone Road runs parallel to the 401 and Lake Ontario's shoreline. The only thing of any note near it is The Big Apple roadside attraction. Just a beautiful road - I turned onto it from the 401 because of the song 'Telegraph Road' by Dire Straits. I just read that the song is about the road in Detroit where Krystal spent part of the end of her life in a dirtball motel in the early 2020s as a heroin addict. There's a woman walking down it in the distance. Krystal would have been in high school or even grade school when the picture was taken. The song was released when she was a baby. I think I heard it first in 1985 on the radio, maybe CHOM in Montreal, when Dire Straits had made it big with "Money for Nothing", and I was thinking about a woman I should have forgotten about.
The song was about a road that was first place a settler started a home, and developed into a major thoroughfare, but really something named Telegraph Road would have had to have been a road built for accessing a telegraph line.

No comments:
Post a Comment