The Ipperwash Crisis in 1995 was an armed conflict over a park that had been created on land expropriated from a native reserve on Lake Huron in western Ontario. I got one article in the Star over the dispute between the Ojibwe native people who wanted it returned to them and the government of Ontario before the crisis developed. The Ojibwe had been trying to get public attention about this for years before the crisis, which resulted in the death of Dudley George, who was shot by an OPP sniper. Here are some natives walking to Queen's Park, Ontario's provincial parliament in Toronto, along Highway 6 just north of Guelph in 1993. The staff is an Eagle Staff, which is like a flag for native people. The man carrying it explained that it represented the different First Nations that supported them and the fur, feathers and snakeskin represented the living things that also were concerned and supported them. He used the word 'people' in English to describe both the First Nations and the other living things. I've lost my notes so I don't know the names of anyone.


No comments:
Post a Comment