Friday, July 1, 1983

Pennsic War XII - 1983


Hand lettered sign - I rescued it from the dumpster after war was over. The 'streets' that were formed by the camps got their own names. Still keep it on the wall in my room as a souvenir!


These are some photos I took in 1983 at the Society For Creative Anachronism's Pennsic War, at Coopers Lake Campground near Butler, Pennsylvania. I don't know the names of most of the people in the photos - I was just tagging along. Done with an Olympus Trip 35 that had a light leak, sorry!




























The late Sheldon Lofthouse
Lofthouse was later charged with gross indecency in a washroom sex case that went to the Supreme Court of Canada. I didn't know he was gay at the time - he was sharing his tent with a woman, but later I would see him in the showers at the University of Guelph even though he wasn't doing any sports activities there. At first he said the shower at his place was broken, but later after he'd moved and was still in the showers he said he just wanted to feel clean.







9 comments:

  1. Picture #4 This would be His Higness Prince Alexander of Drachenwald (Europe), reigned 1983-07-09 to 1984-01-28. 7th Prince!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, thank you for posting them. My first was Pennsic 13, this takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, thank you for publishing them. My first Pennsic was 13, it takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting up these historical documents! They are a few years before my time, but I can still recognize a few people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mathghamhain Ua RuadháinSeptember 9, 2023 at 5:13 PM

    Thanks for sharing these — I passed them along to some local SCA folks who were at this event and they recognized themselves and their friends in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the way back machine. I tried to go to that war as my first, but could not get the time off.

    ReplyDelete