Thursday, September 1, 1983

The Bo Tree

Written in 2024 - The Bo Tree was a vegetarian restaurant in Guelph that opened in 1983. I think the address would have been 98 Macdonell but that block has been remodeled since then. It was run by James Fry and Virginia SmallFry (Her original name was Small). It only lasted a year or so, but it was the first vegetarian restaurant in the region. Their son Dylan was born in a little apartment around the corner. They lived near me in Guelph and I met James' dad and grandad. All three were English. His grandad told me stories of being a merchant sailor going to Murmansk during the war as part of a convoy to keep the Soviet Union supplied.  They also had the first Laserdisc player I saw - they played "Eating Raoul" and "Pink Floyd's the Wall". Goldie Sherman, Guelph potter and dancer who played with Jane Siberry was friends with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment